What is Fitness? One Question- Many Answers
When we walk into a gym for the first time in a while, we feel embarrassed and motivated to change. But how clearly have we defined what we’re aiming for in fitness and health? Maybe they weigh us on the scale, maybe we get a body fat percentage test. But is that the best way to think about our fitness? We believe fitness can be better defined- thus better obtained than just a scale and a percentage that doesn’t tell us the whole story.
Fitness- Keep It Simple
We want to keep our fitness simple. Let’s start with basic measurements that are easy to understand. Strength- are we able to lift and move more weight today than we could yesterday? Endurance- can we run further today than we could yesterday? Speed- can we run faster today than we could yesterday? Flexibility- can we move smoothly to a larger range of motion today than we could yesterday? These are a few of the 10 General Physical Skills that we combine to define fitness. In essence, can we get lift a little heavier weight, a little farther, in shorter periods of time? That’s what we’re aiming for in fitness!
If we increase these simple markers of preparedness for whatever life might through at us, we will increase our fitness. We believe we not only one of the best CrossFit gyms in Amman, but are one of the best gyms in Amman because we more clearly define fitness and measure fitness each day.
Test Your Fitness
Fitness should be tested often. So at the end of your one hour training session- you record your score. It could be the time it took you to finish the workout. It could be the amount of weight you lifted. But everyday we measure your progress. We trust that your body fat percentage, cholesterol levels, resting heart rate- and many more health markers will get better very quickly. We’ve seen it year after year with our members, many of whom had given up going to traditional gyms out of boredom and lack of results.
Ten General Physical Skills of Fitness
- Strength – The ability to produce and apply force, regardless of time.
- Endurance – The ability of the cardiovascular and respiratory systems of the body to effectively transport oxygen to muscles within the body.
- Stamina – The ability of the muscles in the body to withstand sustained efforts without fatiguing.
- Flexibility – The ability of each joint in the body to move through its full, healthy range of motion without restriction.
- Speed – The ability to move from point A to point B in the shortest time possible.
- Power – The ability to do the highest amount of work in the least amount of time.
- Balance – The ability to NOT fall. Sounds simple – This isn’t always the case.
- Accuracy – The ability to replicate movement in a way that allows for effective placement of self or external objects.
- Agility – The ability to change direction quickly.
- Coordination – The ability to merge multiple movement patterns together in order to complete a task.
We hope you’ll give us a call or stop by for a visit to see fitness in action. If you need a fitness event to help motivate you, check out our special Running Guide for Amman. We’ve got many details for you including Jordan fitness events and the best places to train. We picked the top 8 places to run in Amman. Then given you a map of the routes, distances, running surface, where to park, and so much more!
We even created a healthy Restaurant and Grocery guide specific to Amman Jordan to help you get started. Sign up and we’ll send you the free download! We give you the 8 best grocery stores and 8 best restaurants in Amman for healthy living. You will find their locations, ratings, cost, selections, quality and much more.
The First Step
At Crescent, we know everyone faces stress and a fast paced life that drains our energy. Our coaches guide you through efficient workouts & simple nutrition to build new habits to achieve the body, energy, and lifestyle to live with courage in today’s world. Step one is call us at 079 722 8865 to schedule your consultation. Or you can sign up for the time that fits your schedule. We will sit with you to hear your goals, your fitness history, and help you know the right next step!