Athlete Packing List for Your First CrossFit Competition
You’re ready for your first CrossFit Competition but want to make sure you have everything you need to perform your best. We’re here to help. As we prepare to return to Elfit 2018 and bring our CrossFit Crescent Team, my coaches and I made a packing list. I was amazed at how few good lists I could find online. So we compiled some lists, added our own things, and tried to break the list down into the things that are specific to Elfit and the things that are more general for any CrossFit Competition.
We’re very excited to return to Cairo and see many friends and compete together. I know I’ve learned a lot and had some good training since I took 3rd place last year in the 35+ Elite Division. Perhaps most importantly at my age, getting to compete without any nagging injuries is crucial. Here’s what you’ll need for your competition!
If you are new to the sport of Crossfit and want to learn how you can train- visit our Programs page for details about how to start, or upgrade your training! We have something for beginners to advanced athletes.
- Olympic Lifting Shoes
- CrossFit Shoes- Nanos or Metcons
- Running Shoes
- Jump rope
- Knee Sleeves/other compression gear
- Wrist Wraps
- Gymnastics grips- check them to make sure they are in good shape and won’t break on you
- Weight belt
- Shorts- I can’t say enough about One-P shorts. Ever since we got custom Crescent Shorts- they are the only shorts I wear now. They are perfectly sized, breathe well, perfect for the varied demands of elite CrossFit Athletes.
- Enough shirts, socks, underwear for multiple workouts a day- you will get 1 workout shirt each day that you will have to wear for the events so keep that in mind.
- Athletic Tape- 2-3 rolls – tons of people forget this and they WILL ask to use yours, so go ahead and have enough so you can be generous!
- Pre Workout mix- after several workouts and 2-3 days of WODs, you’ll want some help getting amped up!
- Extra protein powder and whatever else you usually take post workout. Utilize protein powder and light carbs, like protein bars or rice cakes between workouts.
- 1-2 Extra shaker bottles
- Advil or Ibuprofen- to help ease the pain over the weekend!
- Sunglasses- it will be bright!
- Small towel- to wipe down after WODS and after the swim WOD, and apparently after we do handstand walks in the sand pit!
- Goggles- make sure they fit you well for the swim
- Sunscreen- SPF 50 or higher
- Portable phone charger- there’s no good place to plug in your phone
- Long socks- for the rope climbs
- Baby wipes- pack in ziplock bag- these always come in handy
- Small scissors to cut off dead skin from your hands if (and when) you rip!
Non-Essential Packing List
- KT Tape- the competition physio group might have some extra for you, but you might as well bring your own
- Lacrosse Ball
- Vodoo floss
- Callous file
- Neosporin- to help heal rips on your hands and keep them moist
- Swim Cap
- Extra contact lenses if you wear them!
Team Packing List:
- Roller- one per 2-3 people as this doesn’t fit well in suitcases so you don’t need 1 per person.
- Bands- 2 Reds, 2 purples should suffice for a team- just pass it around in the warm up area.
- Nice DSLR Camera for quality photos- probably only if you have someone coming to be a spectator and they know how and are willing to use it.
Food Packing List:
You want foods that are portable, do not need to be reheated, require little to no prep, and that will not be too heavy on the gut while you are participating in the events.
- Protein Bars- usually can have more carbs than usual because you will be using them
- Hard boiled eggs- take these each morning from your breakfast buffet
- Fresh fruit, especially bananas- from buffet or athlete area
- Raw veggies
- Nuts, almond butter or peanut butter
- Avocados- if you can find some
- Coconut water or PediaLyte- something with extra electrolytes but not too much sugar (gatorade has way to much sugar
- Water- get from athlete area but keep stocked in your bag and keep it cool
Miscellaneous Trip Essentials
- National ID cards
- Hotel Reservation- Click here for Elfit Hotel Information
- Competition Schedule
- Airline tickets
- Car rental or shuttle information
- Credit Cards
- Cash- in local currency if possible
We made our own 2017 Elfit Recap Video-
If you need other competitions to train for, check out our special Running Guide for Amman. We’ve got many details for you including Endurance events and the best places to train. We picked the top 8 places to run in Amman. Then given you a map of the routes, distances, running surface, where to park, and so much more!
If you are new to Amman, or just starting your journey in fitness in Amman, you should check out our 5 Fitness Tips for moving to Amman. We can help make your transition smooth!
Hope this helps you get ready! Leave a comment below if there’s anything else I forgot!
Joseph Peer- CrossFit Crescent Owner- Amman, Jordan
2016 3rd Place Elite Masters 35+
2017 2nd Place Elite Masters 35+